Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bay Area's ChitChaat Corners...



Yes! ChitChaat, you read it right. Chaat as in chat - just a twist to sound more food-like. I decided to start this blog to get your opinions, suggestions, recommendations and experiences about fashion, what's in and what's about or maybe just around the corner and the perfect place to talk about it all, the restaurants in and around the Bay Area. All the students out there know when I say that this is even more important when you are on a student budget, which may mean that resources may be restricted but in no way means that we restrict out flavor and taste. As far as restaurants are concerned, there is so much variety and variation available today, making it impossible to keep a track of it all but I sure would not want to miss out on the BEST. And I am sure my blog-mates would love that as well.

I guess, "Charity begins at home," so let me begin with introducing one of my all time favorite place to grab a quick bite on the go - La Victoria in San Jose CA. Their burritos are the BEST in town and their orange sauce steals the thunder. For all those who burn the midnight oil - this place is open till past mid-night and the prices don't call for any deficit measures on the student budget (nominal prices).  And their proximity to SJSU adds to the charm.


Ummmmm!!! Chatting and gossiping blend so well with food. Sooooo lets hear about your favorite restaurants here - in and around the Bay Area...



6 comments:

  1. I agree, La Victoria's burritos are heavenly, very filling and you rightly said they are really good for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to bring La Pinnata to your attention too...their platters sound pricey but I can bet you will barely be able to finish half of it, rather you will need to share it or be asking for a 'to go box' and having same for dinner...they are tooooooo good and with the variety it is a sure treat to enjoy. It is a perfect place for picky people like me. My experience was I asked one of the ingredients to be taken off the platter as I did not like it just thought why to waste, what I wont eat...without my asking they filled my platter with more share of other ingredients with no extra charge. I think that was nice of them to let me have my preference and the worth of my price...I truly appreciated that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good one is Rangoli in Sunnyvale. Their Indian mithai/Desserts are out of heaven...have not tasted Indian sweets so delicious at any other place in Bay Area yet. Mmmmmmm....and their samosas are the best too, you do need to try them to know how special they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only problem I have with Rangoli is their customer service, which puts me off and less likely to see me return that often as I would like to. If only they could be more courteous, I would not hesitate to put them on the top of my list for Indian sweets & samosas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard that from someone else too...so it is true, I always had my friend pick up sweets for me on her way home from work...I thought she was exaggerating...hmmm...they do need to be courteous enough so we can return...I sure would not want to go back to the place where I dont get nice people to deal with,...no matter how gooood their food is...they are off my list now pal, thx for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of customer service...I visited Grand opening of Bengali Sweets at 5029 Mowry Avenue in Fremont CA earlier this week. This is a restaurant and sweets corner with a chaat stand too. Their cutlery looked clean and nicely laid out, the water containers were sleek and glasses clean and shiny. I was super impressed by their customer service, seems to be a family owned joint, with the FRESHEST mithai (Indian sweets) I have ever tasted in Bay Area. If you are in front of the check out station, you have partial view of the kitchen, and I saw the guy dumping a slightly overdone samosa instead of adding it to my order like some others have done...I am full of appraisal for this place. The lady was so sweet to talk to, so forceful in having us taste the mithais. There have been instances when at certain Indian restaurants I asked about some display and their rude answer has been...buy it and try it..to the contrary, this lady wanted us to try all her new mithais. She took pride in all her displays. Their samosas are big but with aloo (potato) filling in Gujju style not Punjabi style. Tastes good but a little different. Their chole bathure are really filling, bathure were double the size I have bought at any other Indian Restaurant so far and chole quantity were enough to last all thru the bathuras so this place has good quantity, good tasting food, Great customer service and to top it all, all soooo FRESH!!! Oh and you need to try their kalakand...so fresh and chewy, you can taste real ricotta in it...yummmmy...

    Laddoos were not too sweet, my first impression was they dont have enough sugar in it, then I realised that I am getting used to eating sugar loaded mithais...and then I started enjoying same fresh laddoos (moti choor)

    If you also miss chhena murgi(traditional sweet made out of Indian paneer) as much as my family does...GOOD NEWS!!! they have it over the weekends...

    They seem a little to the higher side of price but way bigger portions, delicious food, unmatched freshness and Great customer service makes it all totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete